Friday, April 22, 2011

Week 4, Part 2: Rafting with Gilly

On Saturday, June 26, half of the Rockhurst group took a weekend-long side trip to the Amazon, and the other half of us went white water rafting in the Sacred Valley.  I was part of the rafting group - good thing too, because the Amazon group encountered all sorts of creepy creatures (bats, tarantulas, spiders…).  

My water rafting group met up early in the morning to catch a bus to the rafting launch site.  Our group of 10 met our tour guide at the Plaza de Armas, then went to rent water shoes and drive 2 hours to the Southern rapids of the Urubamba river (a Level 1-3 rapid in the non-rainy season).  When we got there, we dressed in wet suits with water-proof jackets, gaudy shorts, life jackets, and helmets, as the crew prepared the rafts.  We had a short lesson about rowing and then we got into three groups.  My group's guide was named Gilbert, so logically we called him Gilly.  We was a little Peruvian man who made a lot of jokes. 
Dressed up in our rafting gear.

The river looks relatively calm at this point.
We rafted for about two hours and met the bus down the river.  We had a late lunch of chicken, rice, guacamole, tomatoes, Coke, and cake.  After a long afternoon full of physical activity, it was quite honestly the best meal I've ever had.  Then we hopped on the bus, all dirty and smelly, and drove the two hours home.

Hanging out with Gilly after we conquered the river.

1 comment:

  1. River rafting! Yay! The river really looked so calm. So how did your adventure go? I want to see some photos of your rafting experience! I can still remember when I first went rafting with my high school friends a year ago. It was hilarious and I want to do it all over again!

    ReplyDelete