Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Joy of Pepsi

If there's one thing I love about being a senior, it's that the classes I'm taking are more concentrated to my major.  Well, for the most part.  This being said by a senior who's taking an intro computer application course and Precalculus, but that's just because I put it off for too long.  Don't do that!

One class in particular that I have really enjoyed so far this semester is my Advertising Copywriting class.  Right now I'm doing research for a project focusing on a famous ad campaign: the Pepsi Generation.  Now, I'll admit I've never been much of a Pepsi fan - in fact I was a little disappointed when Rockhurst switched out Coke for Pepsi on campus, but I wanted to study this campaign because I found it interesting how successful it was and continues to be.  Pepsi was just a small, little-known company before the Pepsi Generation campaign came along.  

I love how in this campaign Pepsi solicited to the common American desire to be youthful and free.  My research came up with a quote which stated that Pepsi informed Americans that "there are Coke people and there are Pepsi people, and if you’re a Pepsi person you are young and the future’s on your side."  

After watching this ad here, I think I'm well on my way toward picking the Pepsi side of the cola wars!

No comments:

Post a Comment