Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hopkins, Skip and Run - 5K Memorial Run


I'm one of those people that considers myself to be a partial morning person. While the physical act of dragging myself out of bed in the morning to go to work or class might be pretty difficult, once I'm up and at'em, I'm in a really good mood. This morning was one of those instances.

I got up at 8:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning to go participate in the Hopkins, Skip and Run 5K on campus. The run was put on by two Rockhurst Greek organizations who are raising money for the Hopkins Scholarship, in memory of Nelson E. Hopkins, Jr., a high school student who was found murdered on the perimeter of campus in December of last year. Nelson died with a college application for Truman State in his back pocket. His murderer has still not been found to this day. The scholarship fund was established to help send Nelson's younger siblings through school and to start a regular college scholarship for students at his high school.
The runners at the start of the race.  The first three finishers received $50 gift cards to a local spa.

I'm really proud of the Rockhurst students who put so much effort into putting this whole event together! They've been working on it ever since February, and I bet it was rewarding for them to have such a great turnout. I opted to walk the whole course, as I've never been much of a runner, but it was extremely pleasant to walk through Brookside, the Trolley Walk path, and the UMKC campus on such a pleasant day. The sky was perfectly blue, there was a gentle breeze, and the 72 degree weather was a welcome relief after the humidity of the day before.
My sorority sisters at the end of the race with Nelson E. Hopkins, Sr., the father of the young man who was murdered with a college application in his back pocket.

Looking forward to coming back to Rockhurst and participating in the run again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment