Monday, September 20, 2010

There Is No Place Like the Plaza.

Photo from Plaza Photo Tour.
When I first visited Rockhurst as a junior in high school, I was having a really hard time figuring out what I wanted from a college and what sort of major I would be pursuing.  When I visited Rockhurst with my dad, not only was it the first time I had ever been in Kansas City, it was also the first time I had ever seen the Country Club Plaza.  Amazed by the Plaza’s chic stores, beautiful architecture, and plentiful fountains (Kansas City is known as the city of fountains), I realized that going to Rockhurst would give me easy access to such a great and convenient place.  

Photo from Plaza Photo To
Living only five minutes away from the Plaza has enriched my experience in Kansas City.  A fun fact about the Plaza is that it was actually the first suburban shopping mall in the nation.  The Plaza is practically “an outdoor museum of romantic Spanish architecture and European art,” according to the Plaza website, and is designed to mimic Seville, Spain.  It’s also infamous for its impressive lights display during the holidays, an effect that adds the perfect twinkle to the holiday atmosphere.  I have met people who have come from all over the country just to shop there and see the lights.  

Photo from Plaza Photo Tour.
The Plaza has turned out to hold plenty of great opportunities for a college student like me.  I’ve held two part-time jobs on the Plaza, been to numerous SAB sponsored $3 movie nights at the Plaza’s Cinemark theater, spent way too much money at my favorite stores (Urban Outfitters, J-Crew, Gap, Forever 21, Paper Source, and Barnes and Noble – just to name a few), and I can always rely on something tasty at my favorite restaurants (Ingredient, Coldstone, The Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen, Chipotle, the Mixx, and Noodles & Company). It’s perfect for date night, going on a shopping spree with the girls, or getting dressed up for a night on the town.  Also, there’s nothing like walking around the Plaza on a beautiful fall or spring day to raise your spirits after a long week of classes.  All in all, us Rockhurst students are really fortunate to have such a thriving community within walking distance to our own tight-knit campus community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment